8.19.2011

The Business of Platforms

Okay, so I had a nice long IM chat with my mentor not too long ago and she mentioned something called a platform. Now, I had only heard of these in regards to politicians, and of course like a gaming platform, I had no idea that authors needed one. It turns out its a kind of self-marketing. Which I have done none of. Like at all. In fact I haven't even decided on a name yet. I just know that I don't want to use my real name, not all of it anyway. Because what I write and who I am on paper is so vastly different than who I have to be in real life to please my parents, mostly my dad. People have this image of me and who they want me to be, expect me to be, and I know I'm breaking it, shattering it even in my writing. But writing is power and writing is freedom, I can't pretend on paper without sounding miserable and sarcastic. And who wants that?

But back to the point. I need a platform. You can start via networking sites like facebook, twitter and myspace and even have a blog for your platform. I just want to do it seperately from my personal blogs and such, just as a precaution, which probably means I'll be starting another blog here pretty soon, I was thinking I might try word press, but I'm not sure. Maybe I need to fool around and give blogger a shot. I also need an email that is just for my pen name and my platform and all that. I thought I had one, and maybe I do,but I feel like I have to get all new stuff now, and take it seriously, but it feels like I have too many online names and such and accounts and all that, that starting over now feels like, weird.Like I should take one of my existing accounts and convert it for my platform. I mean its not like its going to get much traffic until I have some writing to share and then publish and start doing guest blog interviews for promotion of my books and such.

Maybe ... maybe, I can start up a platform for my publishing/indie film/literary magazine business and then once I have a name for myself that way then I can start publishing books, its a platform and it doesn't require me having written anything to show off and gather readers yet, now does it? I don't know, I'm gonna bring up the topic at my next writing club meeting, see what they know and have to say about it...

That's all for now, this will remain my personal blog, mostly because of the typo in the url, and I just need a personal blog, so there :P

Star over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment